Reducing Disease in Garlic
- Infection is worse on nitrogen-rich soils with low potassium, so take care with fertiliser applications.
- Do not crowd plants, as this raises humidity and increases the likelihood of infection.
- Keep well weeded.
- Dispose of all plant debris at the end of cropping.
- See Herfomyc – this is effective against any fungus on herbaceous plants. It also acts as a foliar feed so will strengthen the plant as well.
Disease Prevention (General):
- Watering: Don’t water in the evening/night as this moisture will linger overnight and allow the perfect environment for fungus to creep in – water in the morning so the plants can dry out throughout the day
- Soil: If you have heavy clay soils, you can do things like add sand,compost, and plant your garlic in mounds.
- Tools: When dealing with any type of plant disease it’s important to sterilise your tools/materials that came into contact with it.
- Crop Rotation: To prevent lots of different soil diseases, rotate your vegetable families each season.